A Christian orderamong themarginalized
Who we are
- Our vision began in the early 1980s in Los Angeles with InnerCHANGE founder, John Hayes.
- We are families, singles, and married couples, with and without kids, and whose children have left the nest. We are young and old, college-educated and highschool dropouts, living and serving in teams in places of poverty across the globe.
- We are an ecumenical community from differing socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds seeking to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God together.
What we do
Our work is holistic and relationship-centered. While our teams are involved in programs or activities within their communities, relationships with our neighbors are the foundation and catalyst for everything we do. Together with our neighbors, we want to see communities transformed by the radical love of Jesus.
Through collaborative, transformative action, lives and communities are changed, local leaders are empowered, and disciples of Jesus are cultivated.
Some of our work includes:
- Walking alongside families who are suffering or in crisis
- Amplifying the voices of those often ignored
- Reconciliation, peacemaking, and bridge-building
- Entering into relationships with youth involved in gangs, violence, or drugs
- Encouraging and equipping local churches to love those on the margins in their communities
- Intensive physical therapy for children with disability
- Community-based care for those living with HIV/AIDS
- Support for community activists with active non-violence training
- Walking daily with our neighbors toward Jesus
- Toddler groups and kids’ clubs
- Assisting in local schools
- Access to debt counseling
- Support for environmental projects
- Cooking and music classes for families and children
- Preparing meals for hungry children
- Bible studies
- Befriending people in prison
- Sports ministry
- Trauma counseling
mission is aboutliving and workingalongside people -so we minister from the inside out.
Where we're based
InnerCHANGE has teams living and working in locations in Europe, Asia, Africa, South and Central America and the U.S.
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Xela, Guatemala
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Sumpango, Guatemala
- Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- London, England
- Los Angeles, California
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Soshanguve, South Africa
- East Harlem NYC, New York
- Washington D.C.
As part of Novo, InnerCHANGE envisions:
Movements of fresh, authentic expressions of the Church among the poor.
- Holistic in nature
- Working for community transformation
- Pioneered by Godly leaders
- Fired by a passion for their neighbors
- Compelled to multiply disciples of Jesus among people facing poverty
So that the name of Jesus Christ is renowned among the nations.
Here are some of the outcomes we see:
- We learn from our neighbors a particular type of joy refined by the fire of resilience.
- Choosing to live and work in places of poverty gives purpose beyond self-sufficiency and comfort, leading to joy and commitment.
- Our team members thrive through mutual support, helping each other to fulfill God-given potential.
- Sometimes life and ministry are hard. As teams, our rhythms of prayer and fellowship help us overcome obstacles and discern in community the best way forward.
- As we live and work on the margins, we deepen our understanding of oppressive systems and the lived experience of those targeted by them. This propels our contemplative response and a deeper love for Jesus and our neighbors.
- We enter into reciprocal, deep-rooted relationships with our neighbors.
- With our neighbors and teams, we discern where Jesus is at work in our lives and communities and join him there.